Last week for family night we decided to teach our kids some of our safety plans like where to go if there was a fire, reteach them (though they never remember) not to ever open the door and what to do if there is an emergency and mom or dad cannot call 911. We did tell them it was only to be done in an emergency. The next day while I was feeding Autumn some cereal Parker comes saying, "call 611 in an emergency." I corrected him and said no 911. As we were talking the home phone rang, I didn't think much of it Dan always gets the phone, but he was not here. Then it rang again I asked Parker to bring me the phone, but I missed the call so I called back the number and they answered, "emergency dispatch" I was shocked. I said I just got a call from here and he said, only in response to a 911 call we received from you. My eyes immediately shot to Parker and I assured them it was an accident and we were fine and apologized for the inconvenience......
I sat Parker down and asked him if he called the police, he told me up and down no..... finally he admitted it and then iIasked him WHY?!?! he said it wanted to see what happened. I told him the police would come and if there was not an emergency he would be in trouble, but not to worry this time because I told them were were fine. We spent the next few minutes discussing this and then he went off to play. 15 minutes later someone knocks on the door. I can see through the glass it is the police. I looked at Parker and said Parker the police are here!!! He looked so terrified. He hide behind the door. I assured the officer we were fine, but that I have a curious five year old who was testing what he was taught the night before. I had Parker come out and apologize. The police man said, "I am here to help, but only call me if you really need it." Parker was so scared that he was in so much trouble. I am glad the police man was so nice to him, but also glad he came so he knows the police will come if you call. But I feel bad we wasted his time.
I thought he got the concept you only call for emergencies if mom and Dan cannot call we repeated it daily. But the next week while in California and visiting my grandmother he was playing in the back room and a phone was sitting there and I guess it was too tempting and HE DID IT AGAIN. The phone rang and my aunt had enough scene to say no we are fine it was a child sorry. When questioned what in the world he was thinking and asking if there was a fire? did anyone die? He finally said I just wanted to see if it worked in California too!!! Such a smart and curious little boy! It gave us all a big laugh (when he did not see). What am I going to do with this little boy.
1 comment:
Oh no! That silly boy!
Post a Comment