Sunday, September 19, 2010

ear piercing

I noticed when Rina came to live with us her ears were not pierced. she said she was allowed to, but was just afraid it would hurt. I assured her it did not hurt and she said she would do it. So for her birthday I took her to the mall to get them done. The lady doing it asked it we were getting Bellas done too. I assured her my husband would never go for it. She convinced me to call him and ask and much to my surprise he said, sure. Now I had to make a decision.... I was not sure. I had always thought I would never do that I would wait til she was older and it was her choice, like when she was baptized when she turned 8. I gave into peer pressure when the lady told me all the benefits of doing it when they are young. After Rina did fabulous and didn't even flinch it was Bellas turn. I was so nervous. They put the chair practically in the mall walkway for everyone to see. I GOT THE DIRTIEST LOOKS!!! If I walked by and saw the same thing I would have given looks like these. I had to hold Bella on my lap and hold her arms downs and head still. She began screaming just when they cleaned her ears. I felt like the worst mom ever, the looks did not help.... She did cry the whole time, but as soon as they were done so was she. it was so sad though. They gave her a sucker which made her happy and a huge mess.
We drive home I was watching her the whole way in the rear view mirror, she did not even notice them or touch them at all. I get her out of the car and show dan and he asked where did the other one go. What??? one was missing!!!! on no i run back to the car and search for it. I found it sitting in her car seat. It must have just fallen out from rubbing against her seat. The lady assured me she could not pull them out they are very hard to take out because they are locked. well that one was not locked.... I was so mad. I cleaned the earring and tried to put it back in, no dice it had already closed it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes.
SO now I had a choice do I take the other one out and bag the whole thing and wait, or do I take her back and have it redone......
I took her back in... when she saw the same lady she started crying again. it was not so bad that time, at least the spectators were also believers in baby ear piercing. I still felt horrible for subjecting her to pain for something so silly. I guess she has to learn young, pain is beauty. Then to face my real fear telling my mom and mother in law...... they were not thrilled....
it has been a few weeks now I think they are darling but cleaning them everyday is a huge pain, she hates it. If I were to ever do this again I would do it when they are much older or when they are very little and do not know what I am doing when I clean it.

2 comments:

Allie said...

that picture of Bella getting her ears pierced is so sad! but she looks super cute with her ears pierced! she will be glad you did it when she couldn't remember anyways

Karyn said...

I did one child at 7 and one at 4 months and the younger the better. It took MiKiya an hour before she would let us do the other ear. It was only the thought of the humiliation of going to school with one earing that made her do it. She loves them but wishes I had done it when she was young. She had the infections and all sorts of nasty. Riley has never had an infection and did great. She is now 7 and loves her earrings but would have never let me do it at this age. I would recommend you get another set of the ear piercing earings and just keep those in her ears. Riley still has hers in 7 years later. MiKiya had to put hers back in for a few years also to get her ears over the infections. She is cute.