Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Paris day two

so I lost my very detailed description I wrote of day two in Paris.... a shame I know, now I will not be able to record what everyone ate at every meal. (I will try) :)
Now that three weeks have past I remember we went to Notre Dame.

it was amazing!!! I was truly blown away with the grand stature of the building he detail and beauty of it. It was built in the 12 century. I loved the Gothic arches and flying buttresses.

After the cathedral we went into the archaeological crypt underneath it. When i read the word crypt i think dead people, but it was really ruins of where the city wall used to be for the Seine river (a lot less interesting than dead people huh)
Then we did a Latin district walk from Rick steves, it was pretty interesting. one of our first stops was to one of the two natural islands in the seine river called Île Saint-Louis. now it has lots of ritzy apartments and restaurants and shops we referred to it "swank". it is known for some great gelato there, so we wet. Kim and I shopped while the boys stood in line and we came out when it was our turn, i was up next and the only problem was the flavors were written in french. great and i was not figuring out any words and I could not see the flavors I even went around the side to ask if i could see and I was shooed away. dan was done with my nonsense and just randomly chose two. he ended up getting some honey nut nougat and a passion fruit sorbet. both were gross who knew ice cream could be gross. i was mad, but i should have stayed there to figure out what i wanted instead of shopping and then being flustered with no time. the honey one was like crystallized pieces of honey mixed in ice cream with Cheerios smashed in too. not good. Kim and john made good choices whatever had the word chocolate in it. we went down to the river to enjoy our treat ( or not enjoy it, whatever, I let Dan eat it all it was not worth the calories)


After sitting by the river we passed by this couple making out they were at least 65 and he was pulling her hair!!! i could not help but take an inconspicuous picture. This was not a rare site we saw people kissing everywhere. they are just much more open with their affection here than we are, but this was just too funny!!!


we also noticed this everywhere all the cafes had lots of seating outside, but all the chairs were always turned outward to face the street. we called it parade seating.

Kim and I being cute in front of some fountain :)


Notre Dame in the background.

We walked home that day thinking we are only a four blocks away, but we got lost, for a long time we took the scenic route and saw many interesting things. That night we went back to the Latin district to dinner.


We choose a fondue restaurant I thought yum french cheese fondue would be great. it was good, but they only gave us boiled potatoes, french fries and bread to dip in it. vegetables were not even an option... what is with these people? we also had steak and chicken to dip in out wine and oil. The Latin district is the place eat. there were streets and streets of only restaurants, one after another. they were all busy too except for one or two out of hundreds and those were dead, I felt bad for them but maybe they suck who knows. as we walked by people would stand out in the alley and try and lure us in. it was quite the site.
That night after we walked home I had my first crepe there, nutella and banana. so yummy. I think i had one everyday after that too. I bought myself a bottle of nutella since i came home but it is just isn't the same.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I want your headband...seriously.

Love the details! I think Paris would be fun to visit. One of my friends said I should go to Italy with her next spring and I'm so torn between being responsible and carefree.

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

thanks Melissa I got it at forever XXI. now i need a new one parker broke mine yesterday. and you should totally got to italy it is my favorite place i have ever been. Live it up you are young and carefree you can be responsible later...

Sharee said...

I am taking meticulous notes on your travels so that we will know what to do IF I ever get to Paris! You look so cute in all your pictures!! Stinks about the gelato. I would have been so sad. What was the hotel you stayed at? Do you recommend it? What was the best way to book it? Just like to know details from people who have "been there, done that" - so glad you got to go, but totally jealous!

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

we stayed at a place called hotel des d'anjou it was nice and i would stay there again I knew nothing about anywhere before we went i read lots of reviews on tripadvisor and i tried to find a place centrally located and very close to a metro stop. it was all of these and in our price range so it as great for us. you have to go, it is amazing and i am sure you will someday!