Last night we hosted a dinner for dans other Japanese tutor and his wife and child. this family is actually in an exchange. Dan teaches them English and they teach Dan Japanese. They moved here a few months ago and work for Canon and HP. They are a very nice family. Dan being the very gracious hosts that he can be decided to invite them over for dinner at an Americans house. He asked them what they would like to eat that is American and they listed: Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce, rolls and pumpkin pie. That sounds like THANKSGIVING!! So I made a thanksgiving dinner last night. I am not sure if they were expecting all of that, but they said they really enjoyed it. In their broken English the wife told me "I know this take you long time to make so many dishes we thank you for that" it was very sweet. I also made he my yummy artichoke dip, she also requested that. she loved it.
I did remember why we only undertake a feast like that once a year. it is a lot of work, especially to make it all by yourself. I do have to say, my husband was so helpful and cleaned and did all my chores while I cooked. Maybe he felt obligated since he volunteered me to do it, but I am glad we did it was fun. I did have one problem, I could not remember how long I set the timer for on the turkey or what time I put it in and I read something while it was cooking it that would affect how long it would cook. So I relied only in my meat thermometer. I put it in it read 180 I thought great it is done. It rested than I began carving... the breasts were completely cooked and delicious, but the legs and thighs were not so cooked. That is where I tested it, maybe I hit a bone, who knows. so we ate white meat and after they left I put it back in the oven, not sure what to do. Then I thought about that it sat out for 2 hours while we ate and visited and after I re baked it, I threw it away. I am sure bacteria was growing like crazy in the partially cooked meat. gross! It may have been fine, but I did not want to go there. So now we have tons of leftovers, except turkey. I really wanted to make turkey soup too. Maybe I will make some chicken to go along with it all. All in all it turned out great. it was my first solo undertaking, but I will be more confident in the future. I just can not be the only one in charge of the turkey.
Anyways, something I have to say is that Japanese people are so thankful and gift giving people. from both of the families we have received many gift that they brought us just for having them over. like little decorative towels, fans, books and charms. And last night she also made us something. I have no idea what it is called, but it is very interesting. it is like two little pancakes with mashed red beans cooked with sugar inside. Very interesting indeed.
3 comments:
It does sound like a lot of work! I can't say I've been brave enough to cook Thanksgiving dinner by myself yet. Maybe one day when I grow up! Cute pics!
Yum that still sounds so good! I can't believe you did it all by yourself! Your such a great cook! I always call you instead of my mom for cooking advice. Thanks!
Nicole - I will have to ask you more about it when I see you, but that is so awesome Dan is learning Japanese! And you are so BRAVE to take on a Thanksgiving dinner! WOW! That was so thoughtful and kind of you to do for them.... I am SURE they appreciated the wonderful food.
Post a Comment