Sunday, February 10, 2008
learning to self feed
My good friend Kim told me a story the other day about how she never let her son try and feed himself with a spoon because their table was over carpet and she was afraid of the mess. Now he is 5 and still has a hard time with soups and things and she still has to feed him. So, I have been trying to teach Parker. It is very hard for me because he gets so messy and the ratio of food that makes it in his mouth is not very big, not to mention completely inefficient, but I am trying to get past that and let him do it. he is not bad actually. I have to help guild sometimes, but I think he is getting the hang of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I know that it is hard to let him feed himself, but in the long run it will work out. I think I would still wait just a little bit longer. But Parker seems so much further along then Kasen is, so who knows for sure!
To answer your question about the baby whisperer, that's just a title someone gave her. She's not famous by any means. I can totally relate with the whole feeding themselves thing. But just think of that 5 year old every time! Good luck!
I laughed when I read about your friend with the 5 year old, because that is almost the exact same reason I started Branson shortly after he was one. I babysat a kid that was 3 or 4 and refused to feed himself because his Mom always did it for him. Kid's learn what their parents teach them. Adam and I took a parenting class before we had Branson and one of the quotes that they used that we love is, "Never do something for your kids (on a regular basis) that they can do for themselves." We've really found it to be true. Have a great day! Love and miss you!
Nicole - well, I have a completely different perspective, but take it or leave it... I have always let my kids feed themselves from an early age and even though I have done that I STILL have to help Breyden eat. Brielle is pretty good at it and one of my better eaters... so it is completely different for each child. I worry more about how much they have gotten in their mouths rather than the mess (probably because all my kids have been so little). I don't think there is any full proof answer. What works for one won't work for another. Good luck!
I hate the mess! If it was only once a day I wouldn't mind it but its at
least 3 times a day. I'm sure he'll do great though!
Post a Comment