Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Shige

Last night we went to this great Japanese restaurant called Shige in downtown Boise. It was fabulous. The atmosphere wasn't anything special, but the food was phenomenal. Our friend Yuki who knows the owner took us there. He is actually Japanese. there are only two Japanese restaurants in all of Boise where the owner is Japanese. We let Yuki order for us. He wanted us to try a variety of things so we could have the full experience. For our appetizer we orders Beef Tataki- it was cooked cold beef with paper think onions and garlic sauce. It was so good! I loved it. the meat was cooked medium rare and the sauce had so much flavor.
Then this huge boat came out with sushi and sashimi on it. The roll was called a Dynamite roll with Tuna, crab, green onion, roe, and hot sauce. So yummy!
Then there were many nigiris. A ball of rice with a piece of fish (some cooked some not) on top. We had Ebi (shrimp) Tai (red Snapper) Unagi (fresh water Eel) and Hanachi (yellow tail). Then for sashimi (pieces of raw fish) We had tuna and surf clams and sweet shrimp. The sweet shrimp were the whole shrimps with the heads on with eyes and all the legs and tentacles. So we ate the meat (the tail) This is something I did not like, it was quite slimy. gross. After we ate the tail, we gave the heads back to the server and he took them and brought them back after they were tempura fried. I passed on this, but everyone else ate the fried shrimp head. the eyes, brain and all the legs and stuff. Yuck, No thank you I politely declined. I tried a lot of stuff last night, but not that! I tried to keep my cool about it though because we didn't want to hurt Yuki's feelings he was so nervous we wouldn't like stuff. Everything else was so good. My favorite was an eel roll and the eel was in a teriyaki sauce., so great!!
I thought this was our meal (all the stuff on the boat.) I was getting quite full. it was so good.
Then the delivered this huge container ( huge bowl with a dome lid on it, then removed the lid and there was the biggest pile of food ever! All the tables around us were in awe and making a big scene about it. I guess many people do not order this, it was so expensive, but it is what Yuki picked out. anyways I got up and started taking pictures all the boys were so embarrassed by me. Like really embarrassed, but I needed pictures to document it. The bowl was called The Yumi yumi. it has whole lobster, grilled prawns, whole crab legs, teriyaki steak, gyoza (potstickers) and tempura shrimp and veggies along with more sushi and sashimi.
Don't worry, We ate it all. and then green tea ice cream and red bean ice cream, I loved the red bean one. so good. So big thank you YUKI!!! It was delicious.

4 comments:

freckleannie said...

You are so ambitious. You listed a few things on your menu that I might hesitate to try. I really admire your quest to embrace new things. You and Dan are good role models for that.

So, how did you guys manage to eat all that food? That must have been quite a feat.

Emily said...

I think you guys are so fun. The food looks great, but I doubt I could ever convince Matt to try half of it. I'm sure Dan and Josh had a good time eating till their hearts content!

Cassi said...

You are brave. I may have tried it but to actually like it, wow. You have some very refined taste buds.

VoNique said...

Jared would be right there with you, but I think I'd have to draw the line after the appitizer! Ok, I might try some other stuff. But I'm with you on the shrimp noggins. (Not Goggins... Noggins ... like heads. Get it?)

That pile of food was crazy! Wow!

I'm excited to see you tomorrow! Jared said he'd start @ 5 or 6! But you probably don't want to see us THAT soon! = ) When do you wanna start?