You know it is a bad sign when the doctor says it would be easier to talk about the things he ISN'T allergic too!!!
After Parker's peanut scare I knew we should get him tested for allergies to see what else he will have problems with. I knew he was allergic to Milk and Strawberries too.
Today we went to the allergy specialist where they had me hold Parker on my lap facing me and and I held his shoulders tight to me so he could not move and then they did 3 sets of 8 pokes to inject a small amount of the test allergen on his skin. He did not like that at all, like I imagined. The they said now just hold him like that for 10 minutes while we wait for it to react. He can not move and it will itch really bad and he CAN NOT TOUCH IT! Great I thought. I was wondering what army they were sending in the room to help hold this mad man down. He is freakishly strong too. the Doctor could not get over it. When no one came in the office with a tranquilizer gun I realized I was on my own. He some how did it. I tried to entertain him by serenading him and the whole office I am sure at the top of my lungs the words to his favorite nursery rhymes. It was the longest ten minutes of my life I swear. I thought maybe they forgot what room we were in. Got lost... where were they??? When they finally came in the made an audible gasp looking at his back and the severe reactions he had. his whole back was covered in welts bright red, varying in size, (not a good sign)I took some pictures of his back today, but only on my phone, that is all I had with me and I am no where technological enough to know how to put it on the computer.
The things he tested positive for: Environmental, birch (small allergy), cottonwood, grass, kochia, Russian thistle, sagebrush (very allergic).
Dog dander, cat dander (very allergic) and Cat hair, outdoor mold.
Food allergies: Eggs, milk, wheat, soybean, cashews, walnuts and peanut(very allergic. most of the foods were small allergies, they tested for 7 foods and he was positive for all of them. HE thinks he will outgrow them for the most part besides peanuts. He was very severe in that reaction, but he said it isn't where he can not be around them and that 1 in 500,000 people who have this allergy actually can not breath the same air as them they usually just separate them so they do not get contaminated or feed that on accidentally. He said there is a ton of hype about respiratory peanut allergies and that it isn't as common as we hear., Who knows. I know some like that. But oh well.
the conclusion is Parker is allergic to just about everything but water. The Doctor said that some of the things I feed him on a regular basis like wheat and soy (he drinks soy milk) that since I do not see a reaction maybe it is internal, he asked is he very fussy and often upset. I was screaming on the inside YES!!! but I calmly agreed, yes he can be that way.... So the next step is to completely remove him from wheat, dairy, soy and eggs for a week or soo and slowly add them in one at a time and keep for behavioral or physical changes. Ok I can do that, but what is this poor kid supposed to eat until then. That list was his daily meals. So I can give him fruits vegetables and meat. not so bad I guess. But I do not want to be the one to tell him he can not have anymore goldfish, cheese and graham crackers. I swear he lives on these. This will be a diet change for the better I guess.
I hope we can get him healthy especially if it means he will be happier because he doesn't have an upset stomach. Poor little guy!
4 comments:
ahhh that's too bad. Since he's not allergic to corn, you might want to try substituting corn based snacks...I think a lot of cereals are corn based. Good luck!
That is too sad! At least you are figuring it out now while he is still really young. Hopefully this will only help him feel better and be an even happier little boy. Good luck.
Nicole-my name is Bridget aka Katie's mom. You're parents are really close with my in-laws daryle and sue stumpf. I just wanted to assure you that he'll probably grow out of this stuff. Katie couldn't have any dairy or soy for the first first year of her life, and since I was nursing, I couln't have it either. Thankfully she grew out of it and now eats tons of dairy and soy with no problem. If you have any questions let me know. bridget_stumpf@hotmail.com
Good luck! I had a friend in college that had the same allergies you are describing. He basically shopped only at the 'natural' food stores b/c they had a lot of stuff that was wheat, dairy, etc free. Hopefully all goes well! I miss you all and hope aerobics is still going strong.
Post a Comment