Funny story... when Parker and I were leaving California I could have sworn our flight left at 11:25. I looked it up many times to re confirm. so we got to the airport running late about 10:20 as we were checking in she said mam, your flight leaves in 10 minutes!!!! What? no there must be a mistake we are on the 11:25 flight. well there was no 11:25 flight to Boise. I am not sure where I made that up but I was wrong. I was far too late for us to get on that flight but if we waited an hour and a half there was another flight to Portland that had a two hour layover and then to Boise and we would arrive at 5:00 instead of 1. fine at least it would get us home.
We somehow survived the extra time in the Sacramento airport waiting for the next available flight to leave by running from window to window watching for planes to come in and leave, and by going to the bathroom to wash our hands and getting endless drinks of water. We got on the plane he is so excited, and thankfully falls asleep for the last 30 minutes of the 50 minute flight. I did too, we had been up since 4:15 that, but morning that is another story. The plane landed he was still asleep. This was his nap time so I quietly tried to unbuckle him gather my things and carry him sleeping off the plane so he continue his nap. with the assistance of the flight attendants to help me with my bags, but he woke up very groggy and grumpy from a short interrupted nap as I tried to get off the plane. We get in the airport and are searching for a place to eat. Parker is screaming and wanting down and then running away the whole time and when I would pick him up he would slap me and pull my hair. (one of his new talents) He was not happy and neither was I. This had gone on for about an hour and I could not take it anymore. I was trying to maneuver my big diaper bag, a rolling suitcase, his huge car seat strapped to my back like a back pack and my pregnant body through the airport chasing after a crazy two year old, him to put it mildly I was the freak show at the airport. Everyone knew it and was staring at me. I bought ridiculously expensive and disgusting salad so he could eat the chopped ham and turkey out of for lunch. Everything I gave him he threw at me and went crazy.
I eventually barricaded us off with chairs a luggage cart and trash cans and locked him buckled in his car seat. There was nothing else I could do. I would have lost him. He would not stop running everywhere. I finally got him in, he was screaming at the top of his lungs everyone is staring. I call Dan and before he even answers the phone I am in hysterics baling on the phone. I was trying to relay what was happening ask him if he would be upset if I left parker at the airport, blah blah blah. We were both way too tired and hungry to deal with this. After I got off the phone with dan, parker began to calm down. He even took 2 or 3 bites of his lunch. Everyone was still staring. Especially one lady sitting right across from me. I know I look disheveled and haggard but please do not stare. She got up and finally left, but ten minutes later she came back. As our plane was getting ready to board I am gathering my things, parker is wanting out of his seat. Then that same lady comes up to me and says. I know you are having a really hard time, I have little children at home too and it is no fun traveling with them, but I want you to know it will be ok. You will make it and so will he. My kids always like a new toy on trips so I bought this for your little boy in the gift shop, I hope it helps. She bought him a battery operated toy airplane with lights and a roaring engine and spinning wheels. So cool. I let him see it and he was instantly amazed and actually began kissing it. With tears in my eyes I thanked the very kind woman and told her how much it meant to me and him. I tried to have him thank her too but he was not interested in that and she said I do not need him to thank me the look on both of your faces is enough.

We got to talking and she had just come from Europe and had been in the airport since Sunday. this was now Tuesday afternoon. One of her flights was late and it caused her to miss all other connections and she had spent the night in Portland and now at 2 she was able to finally go home. She said was sitting there feeling sorry for myself and I saw you and how much trouble you were having. The only thing I could think to do was to help you. I did it first to lighten your load, but now I feel so much better too. My trip could have been worst I suppose she said. I could have had to do this with a two year old. I thanked her again and we boarded the plane. Parker is now on cloud nine waving to everyone in the terminal blowing them kisses saying bye because he was getting on a plane. The people just laughed at how different he had been for the past two hours and waved back at him. We got on the plane he played with this airplane the whole ride home and loved it. I found myself actually smiling and kissing him and telling him what a good boy he was being and how I loved him. I could not have said those things before I was too frustrated. That lady and what she thought was a small gesture completely changed my outlook. I was actually happy and could laugh at how ridiculous our how airport charade was.
So I would again like to thank that nice lady. I have no idea who she is and I know she will never read this post, but I think the best thing I can do to thank her for her kindness and selfless service is to return that favor to someone else. I think we could all benefit from looking around us for someone else to serve. Especially when we are struggling it will help us feel so much better and forget about our own problems. I have to thank my Heavenly Father for sending that sweet woman to me and helping me that day. We are all instruments in his hands here on earth, we just have to heed the call.
4 comments:
Such a cute story! Love it!
Whoa. I can't even imagine. That must have been quite the challenge. I'm glad that woman decided to help.
I guess the term "home sweet home" is ringing especially true after that experience.
Your story reminded me of President Kimball's airport story. The kindness of strangers can make all the difference.
Thanks for sharing!
She is the type of person I want to be. I have been in your shoes soo many times and felt so alone and like no one even noticed how hard of a time I was having. I am not sure how life gets harder later but I know that I want to help those moms that are alone and struggling to keep it together. I am soo glad she was there to help you. :)
What a wonderful story! I am glad you shared it! I must confess, I have been there too, Traveling with Jesiah from and to Hawaii, over those years was not always the funnest thing to do... I am glad you had someone that cared! I know what it feels like to have people "stare" at you! Brave and Strong women you are!
Post a Comment