Wednesday, August 12, 2009

look mom. I'm a big boy now!

warning: this is a potty training story the words pee-pee and poo poo and in Parkers case Ka-ka will be used frequently.
For some time parker has been very interested in the toilet. about one month before bella was born he was constantly trying to sit on it. I was not ready to potty train him then, I didn't think he was quite ready and I did not want to deal with it 9 months pregnant. He has still shown a lot of interests but a few weeks ago after changing his diaper he said he needed to go pee-pee. so we went and sat on the toilet and he did!! it was amazing he was so excited. that was on our trip so I waited to come home calm down get back into routine and then we would really try.

so on Monday morning we went to the store bought our new underwear and special drinks ( we had already got the potty) and now we were ready to try. We taught his stuffed puppy how to use the potty he had an accident we cleaned it up and then he peed (with a little help from my water bottle) and we had a party for the puppy. We were all very excited. Then it was Parker's turn. He pulled down his underwear and peed right away. I can not remember the last time I felt so much joy. I was so very excited for him. HE DID IT!!!!!! he was so proud as well. I screamed for dan to come down stars we all gave lots of hugs and kisses. Then we were to call and share his good news with his favorite people or super hero (grandparents) he was so proud!!! This went on 6 more times in the next 20 minutes. I was very afraid this was my new life, all potty all the time, but he has mellowed and held it a bit longer.

The second morning of training he woke up and went downstairs where we left his potty took off his diaper and went poop all by himself. this is the first time he did this at all and it was by himself. he came screaming upstairs mommy there's ka-ka in my toilet!!! I went down and sure enough. we had to have a picture to commemorate. gross I know.
He really seemed to catch on right away. one of the techniques they taught us in the book I read was never to ask them if they need to potty, let them understand that feeling and how they need to go themselves and if they do not they will get all wet or dirty. It really seemed to work. I also would do and occasional dry pants check and then he would always be happy to report he was dry and then I could praise him. I worked so well. In the week we have done it so far we have had very few accidents and he takes himself to the potty goes and then empty's the cup, flushes and waves goodbye. I can hardly believe my eyes! what a big boy I have. we have even went on small trips and he held it in the car and told me at the store he needed to go and I ran like the wind but we made it and he did it! The book I followed was how to toilet train in one day, and I think we did. He learned it all that first day we just kept practicing all the skills all week. We chose not to do a special candy every time he went, I wanted him to want to go and be proud of himself and not just for the candy and it worked. I did give him some though every once in a while as a special reward for doing so well. he also kept a sticker chart. it was filled up in 3 days.
I was truly prepared for the worst when we took this on from all the horror stories I have heard, but this was not a walk in the park, it was hard work for us all, but very successful. I hope it all contunues to go so well. Great job Parker!!!!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

sounds great! I will have to do it your way when I do it with Kasen in a couple of weeks!

cristy said...

Way to go Parker! You sure are a BIG boy.

what smooth sailing! i should probably begin to get prepared for this next step.