Monday, October 11, 2010

London day 7

We were off to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham palace. That place was a freaking zoo there were a sea of people and I could not see into the gates. I found a fence to sit to sneak a peak. We finally left without seeing much and sadly without the classic picture of us with the guards we wanted to kiss them one on each check…. Sad day




Westminster Abbey was next on the list. I did not think it would be as cool as it was. It was build in the 11th century so it had many of the same architectural elements as Notre Dame like the gothic arches. It was beautiful but even more cool was the history of it. No pictures allowed in there so you have to go for yourself. All of England’s royalty was buried there and has huge tombs. all of the coronations were done here since 1300’s and marriages and funerals of the royals, Princess Diana funeral was there. Even people like Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin are buried inside there with monuments. It was a great place. Really glad we went. They had audio guide that came with our steep admission price and I learned so much from it.




big Ben



After eating lunch in Trafalgar sq we went to her British Library. It was amazing there were pages from famous old author books being scribbles down like Shakespeare notes, jane Austin. Beatles lyrics written on the back of envelope. There was the original Gutenberg bible, 2nd century manuscript from the gospel of John and many other amazing things I am forgetting but the most impressive to me was the Magna Carta. From King John from Robin hood times.

We then did a boring historic government walk on some famous street in London.parliament is in session (see the flag)


That night we went to see Phantom of the Opera.

I was so excited to see this. I have never before and Kim and John saw it here last year and loved it. We had first row seats looking into the orchestra pit. We could see the sweat on their faces, their spit when they spoke, their wigs, so cool. They could see us too so they would look at us. It was so moving and the music was AMAZING! I really loved it and now can not stop listening to the music


our front row seats!!



Piccadilly circus
.

3 comments:

Matt and Christen said...

Nicole,

Looks like you guys had a great time in Europe. I'd love to go to London and Paris. How cool. Good for you for leaving your kiddos and going. Someday we hope to make a trip like that. I bet it was great to see them again?! By the way what kind of camera do you have? We are looking to get a new one.

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

thanks christen, we did have a great time and it was so good to see them we really missed them. but it made it easier being there without them because it would have been so hard to have them their with our scheduled activities. anyways I do not have a fancy camera is is a cony cybershot. my mom is a pro photographer she uses a canon 5D but she would recommend what ever the newest rebel out there is.

Sharee said...

OK - more questions, sorry... where did you get your awesome tickets for the shows? Did you pay an arm and a leg for them? Or do you just have some secret!! I saw Phantom in New York. It was incredible!!