Day 2: The next day I had to dress for hike. I wore a silk shirt sandals and jeans on the plane so all of that was out. So wore dans clothes. Including his shoes. They were 4.5 sized too big, but it was all I had. I pulled them very tight against the sides of my feet so they didn’t slip around too much. I looked like a clown, but I had to be flexible. I had hoped my bag would come before we left, but it didn’t. On our way back from the tour I called the airport to make sure my bag had been delivered. They said they decided they were not going to deliver it after all. They would not have time before I needed to be at the ship. They did not call to tell me that so good thing I called. So our nice tour guide took us back to the airport for me to get the bag. It was quite ridiculous all the hoops I had to jump through, but whatever I had my bag. Ok enough drama. On to the tour.
We took an El yunque rainforest tour. The guide was very nice and informative. Instead of driving us there on the expressway he took us through lots of little towns to see more of the country and cities along the way and lean about the history. He said by 2012 they would be the 51st state, but we think it was still too backwards there to be a state. Some things were just ridiculous and very third world, but in the city it wasn’t so bad. They have a very colorful heritage and was quite fascinating. We drove up steep winding roads into the rainforest. He said that Christopher Columbus had brought over rats from the ship, so they brought mongoose and snakes to get rid of the rats. Yikes. I was terrified, but saw nothing but many lizards. It was very green and they said every week they have to come in and cut everything back or the path would be covered. It was very cool. We hiked to a water fall. Since I had no swimsuit I just got into my knees. Dan got all the way in and under the fall. It was a little cold, but cool.
Then we went to a lookout point and tower.
On a clear day you can see other islands, but it was a little cloudy and sprinkled every once in a while. We were in the “rainforest”.
Then went to a little restaurant run by a local family and had authentic Puerto Rican food. Pasteries or something like that ground plantain and beef and beans all steamed in a banana leaf for hours. I actually didn’t love it, but it was nice to try and we had rice and red beans that was good. And some other meat stuffed plantain and fried and virgin pina coloadas. They could not understand why dan did not want his with rum. They understood me the pregnant one, but guide almost insisted for him. It was funny.
Our tour guide dropped us off at the ship to board around 2. The gates opened at 12 and they said for no wait come at 2. Boy were they wrong. We waited in line outside for an hour and a half then inside in line for 45 minutes. It was so disorganized and so many people going at the wrong times when no one was looking before us. Very lame. All this time I am still in Dan’s clothes and shoes and we looked so cute after being on our hike all day. But finally we got on the ship and luckily since it took so long for us to go through the line our luggage had already made it to our room. So we came in and showered and I put on my own clothes. It felt nice!
Then we went off to dinner. We chose the anytime dining where we can go to the nice restaurant whenever we want and sit with different people every night or by ourselves. I think we prefer by ourselves. Unless they are cool, we just haven’t found too many yet. We sat with some old ladies the first night who complained the whole time about everything!!! I sure hope when I am old I do not do that. It seems like they are often complaining the loudest, But dinner was good and then off to the show. It was actually really lame. The dancers did one dance and then a comedian who supposedly was on David Letterman came on he was horrible. His jokes were just so slow. We are supposed to have him a few more times, hopefully it will be better. The off to bed, we were exhausted.
2 comments:
Wow! You've been busy blogging! I think I'll have to bite off just a little piece every day. I read day 1 and 2 today. I love the picture of you in Dan's clothes! That's too bad about your luggage. At least you got it eventually I guess. That rain forest looks beautiful! I'm excited to read about the rest. (But I have to got make dinner for guests. Until next time...)
I love the pictures of you in Dan's clothes. I tried to look close at the shoes. It doesn't look that bad though, you dont look like a crazy person! Those pictures are so pretty!
Post a Comment