Friday, January 23, 2009

Birthday party fun

Tonight we celebrated Dans and Parkers Birthday. the main fuss was all about Parker but after 25 I guess your birthday really doesn't count anymore right. in case you were wondering Dan turns 29. only one more year til he is officially OLD :)
Everything turned out well. Dinner was so easy for me, I made two lasagnas and Kay brought a salad and Emily did bread and I did dessert. Simple.

Here is the infamous cake. It was ok. I had very high expectations, not sure why I did, but I really wanted it to look like some of the pictures I saw on line of others Thomas cakes. But at least this isn't the worst one I saw. He knew it was a Thomas and that is all that matters. I should have used like gum paste or fondant to make shapes it would have been much easier, than trying to do frosting. It took way too long, but oh well. it is over with. And quite rewarding at the end seeing him so excited. I may take on another one next year. hopefully they will get better as the years go on and the more birthday we celebrate. Dan said it turned out much better than he thought it would. I am taking it as a compliment :)
In case you were wondering it was a rice krispy cake I thought the rest of our guest would enjoy that better than a gluten free cake. he can have rice cereals. so it actually worked.


A little bit of everything from the night

6 comments:

Allie said...

the cake looks awesome! I dont know what you were so worried about! Your such a great mom I still have never made a cake like that for my kids.

Kim said...

Good Job Nicole. I'm always impressed with your cooking ability. I love the "cake" "kick" thing. That is so cute and just the type of thing you need to be writing in his journal!

Pfister Pfam said...

ok, your cake kicks serious butt...it rocks, you worry too much! oh and all the thomas made me totally have a indiana thomas event flash back. I specifically remember on one of the days, after hearing the thomas song for like the 1000th time, you said "i hope if i have a son that he does NOT like thomas the train, because i can't take one more minute of this stupid song!" or something to that effect! ha ha, and look...he LOVES thomas, ha ha. I just thought that was so funny. I've jinxed myself haven't i? alden will now LOVE thomas...oh well it was worth it :) love you guys! Happy birthday parker!

Karyn said...

I found the Namaste cake brand of gluten free to be good. You may want to look into it and see if he can have it. I do not think your guest would mind ether. I used chocolate cake and put Trader Joe's chocolate syrup on top before I baked it.

cristy said...

The cake looks great! That was a clever idea to use rice crispies. I would have never known. Good work!

Carolee said...

The cake looked great! Oh, and from someone who is already "old", tell Dan that 30 aint so bad! =)