Friday, January 30, 2009

More changes for Parker

On Wednesday I was getting ready to put Parker down a for nap and decided he did not need to sleeping his crib anymore. Again another rash decision I made with out given it much prior thought like the pacifier. I truly am a glutton for punishment! He was now two and I needed to do it sometime to get him adjusted before baby sister comes along. If he knew he had to go through all these changes (no more pacifier, crib and changing rooms all because of this baby he may not like her so much. Not to mention all the changing that will happen after she is born.

So I took it apart and put his mattress on the floor for transition. He thought it was so cool. and said "oohhh!!" the whole time and then jumped on his new bed. So fun. Then it was time to go to sleep it took about 45 minutes of him running to the door and opening it and then seeing me standing there and he would run back and lay down and pretend sleep. it was pretty funny. After a while I thought I have made a huge mistake he is not ready if he gets up one more time I am putting his crib back together and forgetting about the whole thing, but he never did get up again and eventually feel asleep. When I went to check on him a while later he wasn't in his bed but on the side of it on the floor.
That night it was about the same a little bit of running back and forth but he did go to sleep and never cried once when I left unlike with his crib. I guess he just felt less confined. He was, and that is what I did not like.
He slept well but again when I went to check on him he was not even close to his bed he was laying by his dresser on the carpet sleeping. I picked him up again and moved him. He did wake up at 6 and came running into our room saying wake up! not cool. So then yesterday we put a childproof handle on the door. it has worked pretty well. If I can just keep him on his bed and off the floor I would feel better about putting him in his new bed. Any ideas, should I stick with this, put him a little higher so he needs to be aware of his position, or just put a guard rail up? or any other thoughts any would be appreciated. Our current plan is to move him to a twin bed. not up on the stand that might be too high.

8 comments:

Allie said...

Those pictures are hilarious! I think you should just stick him in the twin bed with a bar. Madie didn't really stay in her bed till the mattress was up in an actual bed. I hope he stops waking up so early though.

Pfister Pfam said...

i say twin bed with a rail, he'll do great. With Madi's transition we did a baby gate at the door so that she could still see out. We tried the door knob thingys and she would just scream frantically pounding on the door screaming for help....oooh bad memories...but she's such a girl, Parker totally has it in check! What a trooper, he's doing great and so are you, keep it up!

Kim said...

So funny! I would just put him in the big bed and see how it goes! Good luck.

Cindy said...

I love it. He is so cute. :) I love reading about your experiences with these transitions because they are all something that I am thinking about and trying to figure out the best way to approach it with Carter.

Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole- It's Bridget from California. We just transitioned Katie into a big girl bed (and a new room) about a week ago. I'm due in May, so we wanted to give her a few months to get used to all of it. I was really nervous because we're potty training too and I thought it might be too much. We have a double bed and box spring on the floor with a rail. We talked it up for a few weeks and got her Ariel (her favorite disney character sheets. We brought all of her stuff animals into the new bed and mounted her music soother to the wall so it feels the same as her old crib onces she's tucked in. I don't worry about her falling out since it's a double, but I think the rail gives her security and helps to keep her in the bed. She can't quite open the door by herself yet so we taught her to knock in the morning when it's time to go potty and we'll come and get her. We haven't had any problems yet. There aren't any toys in her new room to play with and it's pretty dark except for her bedtime music soother. We just shut the door to the old nursery and she hasn't asked to go back in it since. GOOD LUCK! bridget_stumpf@hotmail.com

Monica Mary said...

He'll be fine and I think the twin with a rail is great. He'll eventually realize that he's tired enough to just get into bed before falling asleep. Dallas did the same thing. We used the safety lock too. It works great. When he figures out how to break it apart just cover it with fabric and tie it with string.

Good luck with that little cutie!

Monica Mary said...

He'll be fine and I think the twin with a rail is great. He'll eventually realize that he's tired enough to just get into bed before falling asleep. Dallas did the same thing. We used the safety lock too. It works great. When he figures out how to break it apart just cover it with fabric and tie it with string.

Good luck with that little cutie!

Heather said...

Yeah, Lauryn's still in a crib. I have the same thoughts about getting her in a real bed and getting rid of the pacifier before the baby comes, but I'll be lucky if one of them happens. That's so funny that you cleaned your baseboards too. I was like you today too, didn't do any cleaning :).